Friday, July 15, 2011

Summer Road Trip- San Diego Style

We took a road trip to California last week. Let me just tell you how much I love California. I love the weather. I love the scenery. I love the beach. I love the shopping. I love the Disneyland. It's just a fun place to go.

Just so you don't think I'm a Polly Anna, yes, I know California also has it's fair share of crazy people, traffic nightmares (have you heard about Carmageddon?)and high prices, let alone immigration and state budget problems out the wazoo. But we're trying to help them out a bit by spending a bit of our hard-earned money in their state.

We do what we can.

Our road trip started in San Diego. The Utah State Bar had CEL meetings there, so we started our trip with Bruce rackin' up hours of quality but boring classes. After driving 11 1/2 hours, it was time to get out and into the fresh California air. Our hotel was downtown, so we walked over to Seaport Village, a outdoor shopping center on the harbor. My hair immediately started to frizz.
There were cool pieces of art along the walkway next to the water:
Bruce ogled the tuna fishing boats that were moored in the harbor, but didn't covet them, since they don't have a jib. Any boat worth coveting has got to have a jib, so says Bruce.
Here's the statue of the famous WW11 Times Square photo of the soldier kissing the nurse. It's part of a memorial to veterans that's located along the bay. This statue is huge- I would come to just above her knee. In the background is the USS Midway aircraft carrier that's permanently anchored as a museum  on the waterfront.
What to eat for dinner in San Diego? On the harbor? By the boats? Steak!! No, we had a hankering for fresh fish, so we went to The Fish Market restaurant, which is right next to the statue. Yum.
For some reason, this picture of raw fish in the market case is my favorite of the day. And I don't even like shrimp.
I had the most wonderful halibut steak, with the most wonderful Au Gratin potatoes and really the most wonderful marinated cherry tomatoes. Our table overlooked the water and dinner was a winner from every angle.
I even had a cute dinner partner to enjoy it with! Perfect!
Day #1- driving for hours, then the reward of a wonderful dinner. Ahhhh.

2 comments:

  1. You can see up her skirt? weird. And speaking of coveting, your dinner looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so generous, no way do I want to spend more than short, short periods of time there. :)

    ReplyDelete