Friday, July 8, 2011

Coming To Terms with Cabbage

Here I am, 47 years old, and I'm just starting to come to terms with cabbage. Maybe it has something to do with my Mom's Stuffed Cabbage when I was growing up. I would unroll it to eat the yummy meatloaf- like interior, but never, never, never would I eat that wilted, stinking cabbage leaf.

Let me say right here that cooked cabbage is poison.

The kind of cabbage I'm warming to is the uncooked kind, as in slaw. I made coleslaw for the first time in my life for our recent pool party. It went over pretty well, so I thought I'd share the recipe with you:. It follows my "Barbara likes this kind of recipe" formula, which is: mix up an easy sauce and pour it over stuff.
Party Coleslaw- serves 16
1 (16 oz.) packages coleslaw mix
1/2 head purple cabbage, shredded
4 Tbs. minced onion
2/3 c. white sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 c. milk
1 c. mayo
1/2 c. buttermilk
3 Tbs. white wine vinegar
5 Tbs. lemon juice
Combine the coleslaw mix, purple cabbage and onion in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients; mix until smooth. Pour mixture over coleslaw mix and stir well. Chill for 1 hour before serving.

Photo Tutorial!

 I really like the color of this salad with the purple cabbage!
Add the minced onion:
 
 Mix all of those sauce ingredients, slightly sweet and slightly tangy!
A big blob of mayo makes everything better!
I won't lie, it was pretty yummy.

Shannon brought brownies cut out and decorated like stars!
And Elizabeth made a beautiful and festive chocolate cake/berry/whipped cream concoction that was delicious!

1 comment:

  1. I am totally with you on the cooked cabbage thing....yucky, slimy, wilted POISON. This does sound like a good recipe and let me tell you how surprised I am that if you had to pick a vegetable to warm to, it's CABBAGE??

    ReplyDelete