Saturday, July 16, 2011

Summer Road Trip- Mission San Juan Capistrano

 So, hmmm, what to do with myself while Bruce is in meetings for a large part of the day? That's easy. Find a photogenic (or if you're Russian, pho-to-GIN-ic- long story from work.) place to take lots of pictures. 1st on the list- Mission San Juan Capistrano.
I have always loved visiting the historic Spanish missions in California. I love the beautiful architecture and the oldness. I love the history and the landscaping. So different from my normal world. With it's ruins, this must be one of the most beautiful missions.
Mission San Juan Capistrano is about 1 hour's drive north of San Diego. I made it through the border crossing by Camp Pendelton without being stopped. That was good. It was so nice and quiet at the Mission, which was perfect for a crowd-a-phobic like me. These Morning Glories grow on a pergola that covered this bench. Beautiful.
MSJC was founded in 1776, destroyed by an earthquake in 1812, sold to Pio Pico in 1845, then returned to the Catholic church by Abraham Lincoln in 1865. Some parts of the Mission are restored including a chapel, former buildings that are being used as museums and the requisite gift shop.
I spent an hour and half taking pictures here.
Okay, I've shown you the older side of the Mission. Tomorrow, you get the newer side, the side that's still being used. See you then!

1 comment: