Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A River Runs Under It

Have you ever stayed in a haunted house? No, really. A place that was so old that you start thinking about all of the events that have happened there over the years?

I stayed in a place just like that in Colorado while at the horse show. It was a cabin, built in the 1890's, and the first of 17 cabins built as part of the Loveland Heights Cottages. They are in the canyon that leads up to Estes next to the Big Thompson River.

Please tell me you love this super cool retro sign.
This is what my 1890's cabin looked like. It had elk antlers.
None of the doors or wooden window panes were square. The floors were a bit tilted from being added on to. And there were plenty of cobwebs. Here's the sitting room and kitchen:. I'm not sure if the pictures of the man and woman were the original owners of the cabin, but I liked to think that they were.
 Over by the TV was an awesome picture of Abraham Lincoln's family.
 This inspiring portrait hung over my bed:
 The bathroom was...compact. The biggest travesty: the toilet roll holder, screwed into the 1890's wood.
 Now, I realize I'm being pretty negative about this cabin. Cobwebs, crazy floors, doors that won't shut, somewhat creepy pictures on the walls tend to do that to me. But there was one thing about this cabin that redeemed it and made it wonderful. The river.
 My deck hung over the river. I opened all of the windows on that side of the cabin and listened to the water rush by. It was the most relaxing sound in the world and I miss waking up in the night and hearing it. One evening a fly fisherman fished right below my deck. I emailed my sisters and told them that I wanted him to either catch a fish or loose his footing and fall over. Neither happened.

The river was wonderful.








1 comment:

  1. OK, the cabin is more than a little creepy, but the river is really great!

    ReplyDelete