Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Own 1st Day of School

So, today I am going back to work at Bell Photographers. It's a month later than I would have normally started, but with my crazy August I asked for a reprieve and they were ok with it. But now it's time to face the realities of working in elementary schools. Here are a few of the must-haves that I have learned to have with me at all times.

First, my Mickey bag, which has served me well, lo, these last 4 years, with some help from Gorilla Glue. I hope the straps make it through another Fall because I don't know what I would do without my Mickey bag. Also my blue lunch bag- I've been promised that I can reception (take money) instead of shoot pictures this Fall, which means I might even have time to eat lunch between classes. The skeptic in me has doubts about that arrangement.
 My water bottle, filled and frozen.
 My snack of choice: dried apples from Harmons and only Harmons.
 My work notebook. It's filled with notes and essential work information.
Such as diagrams of the light and camera layouts.
 It also has individual school notes. I started making notes about each school 2 years ago on a particularly frustrating day. These include an overall ranking of the kid's behavior from 1-10, teachers to watch out for and anything unique about each school. If you want a chuckle, enlarge this picture and take a closer look at these notes, usually written at the end of a long day of kid-wrangling.
 HAND SANITIZER- my lifesaver. A little dab l' do ya between each and every class. I've had to touch every type of bodily fluid. More than once. I buy this by the quart. Which reminds me: I need my flu shot.
 Mr. Pig. He has helped more than a few reluctant toddlers to smile. I used to have Mr. Monkey, but some preschooler walked off with him at Magna Elelmentary one day. I still miss you, Mr. Monkey. 
My work shoes. Soft, comfy, great for being on your feet for 6 hours at a stretch. And sometimes the Goth kids will complement me on them. They are looking a bit ratty, though. I think I'll be making a trip to the Vans store soon.
 My work clothes. Uggh. I'm sick of them just by looking at them. I do like not having to put much thought into what I will wear to work, though. I have Bell shirts in black, navy, tan and red.
 So, now I have my own First Day of School. Wish me luck!





1 comment: