Friday, June 4, 2010

Giro d' Italia

Since Bruce got into road biking, we've been watching international bike racing on TV. I'm sure you've heard of the Tour d' France (coming up in July- Bruce can't wait!), but have you heard of the Giro d' Italia? This bike race lasts for 3 weeks and covers most of Italy. Perversely, the first few stages are held in the Netherlands. Whatever. Here's a map of the route:
Some things I've noticed about professional bike races:
- the riders have huge legs and little matchstick arms.- I maliciously wait for the big crashes- kind of like NASCAR.- This is the approved rider pose when they win an stage:-Followed by the model kiss:-And the champagne spray:
-Fans along the route are insane. They push, slap, spank and harass the riders as much as possible. Sometimes they dress up in devil costumes and run alongside. Sometimes they take off all of their clothes and run alongside!
Helicopters film the race from above and take pictures of the beautiful countryside, castles, windmills, lakes and scenery. That's probably my favorite part. So, if you get the chance, check out professional bike racing!

4 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I too watch with anticipation for the crashes. They can be brutal and you don't even see them coming. I've not heard of this race but it looks like no fun. Road biking is a serious sport!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those crazy bikers. But just remember Joan of Arc is dead. They burned her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be one of those crazy fans when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete