Wednesday, April 23, 2014

My First Legit Show

Last week marked a pretty big milestone for me- my first horse show! I know what you're thinking. "All you ever do is go to horse shows!" True, but this one I actually rode in.

For your viewing pleasure:
We won that round! When they said my name, I. Could. Not. Believe. It. I realize that it looks like we are slowly wandering our way around the ring, but actually we are going at least twice as fast as we do at home, (because I like to go slow!), and it felt like we were careening around at supersonic speed.  I had to dig deep and find my bravery.

After two days of showing we were named Reserve Champions in our division with the second highest point total! Crazy, right? My division was for everyone jumping 2 foot high jumps who was 13 years old and older. Yes, a barely-teen won, but she was so excited and cute and we are riding buddies now.

FYI, Snoopy's name at the horse show is Hot Wheels. It suits him, I think.
When I was done, Shannon and Snoopy had their turn. She rode him in a division for anyone 18 years old and older, jumping 2 and a half foot high jumps. Easy peasy. Like Bruce said, "It was like bringing a gun to a knife fight." They cleaned up and were the Champions of their division. So cute!
The ribbon display on Snoopy's stall was a little ostentatious. There was not room for them all. (giggle!)
Kari, our trainer, made us pose for a picture. She never does that. She must have been overcome by the mother/daughter/cute horseness of it all!
Riding at a show and staying calm is going to be something I'm going to have to work on. I was so nervous that I couldn't stand still. Although, I did have the presence of mind to take a picture from on top of Snoopy at one point.
In the end, I learned a few things:
1. I can do things that are out of my comfort zone.
2. Grey horses are so hard to keep clean when all they really want to do is sleep in their poo.
3. I have a lot of supportive barn friends.
4. Hard work pays off.
5. Shannon and I make the best horse show team.

We will be missing the next horse show because we'll all be at Disneyland. What a decision! Horse show or Disneyland! Of course, my cute family won out, as they always will. The next show after that is in the middle of May- I'll keep you posted on our progress!
















2 comments: