Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Jodie's Sweet Potato Casserole

Now we all know that I'm not a fan of 95% of the vegetables to be found in the world, yams and sweet potatoes being on that list. But this recipe is different. It's not like a vegetable, it's more like warm pumpkin pie without the crust. I made it for Thanksgiving dinner and my niece was excited that I brought it because it's her favorite. Guaranteed, I will never make any other form of sweet potato. Or yam.

Jodie's Sweet Potato Casserole- serves 12
3 c. cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. milk
Mix all of these ingredients in a bowl with a mixer until smooth. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Top with:
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. chopped pecans
Cut sugar, flour and butter together until crumbly. Add pecans, sprinkle on top of potato mixture. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until set.
*Do not use canned pumpkin for this recipe. It will never set. Trust me.

Photo Tutorial!

First, we cut up the Taters! (The day before Thanksgiving was a very sunny day.)
Then we boil 'em. (Boil 'em, mash 'em, put 'em in a stew! Name that movie.)
Then we mash 'em a bit, but not too much. Look! My 1983 hand mixer! Still going strong!
Here are the rest of the filling ingredients, waiting for the taters.
All mixed up, nice and smooth, ready for the pan.
The Topping. Yum.
 Ready for the oven!
 Really, you need to try these.

2 comments:

  1. Lord of the Rings...my boys use that quote all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks yummy (I love sweet potatoes), but I think I'd have to half the recipe. ... Could this be a sweet potato pie recipe, does it set up firm?

    ReplyDelete