Monday, July 14, 2014

What's More American?

Are you singing that "What's More American" song in your head now? I am.

On the 4th of July, we shot guns. What could be more American than that?
 We are not a particularly gun crazy family. Most, if not all of the guns we own belonged to Bruce's dad. Don't ask me about what caliber they are, or what kind of bullets they use or what their best uses are, because I couldn't tell you. But every once in a while we go shooting. On this particular 4th of July, we went up to Smithfield and shot with Sharon and Kelly. They know a lot more about shooting than we do. It was hot, but it was fun. I wore my new Patriotic Mickey shirt in honor of the day. :)
 We started with rifles.
 Lindsey has more shooting experience than the rest of us combined. In other words, she's very good.
 She even knows how to accessorize with targets!
Linsey had stopped by the Jelly Belly factory in California and had picked up this little beauty:
Innocent Jelly Bellys? I think not. Every color could be one of two flavors. Brown could be Chocolate Pudding or it could be Canned Dog Food. Speckled green could be Juicy Pear or Booger. Caramel Corn or Moldy Cheese? Coconut or Baby Wipes? You get the idea. Whenever anyone did something crazy or said something particularly dumb, or when a dare was laid down, someone was really happy or really sad. It added drama to the day.

 After killing paper targets, we moved on to skeet. (Skeets?) Kelly and Peter could throw the skeet with skill.
 Amazingly, I hit a skeet on my first try. Then I stopped, because I knew I'd never be able to do that again.
 Bruce had one perfect hip shot- he's still talking about it!
 After rifles, we shot handguns. While the rifles made me feel like I was in a western movie, the handguns felt a little more dangerous to me.
 Ben actually goes to gun ranges and practices with handguns. He has handgun skills.
 We exercised our constitutional rights on the 4th of July and that's extremely American!










1 comment:

  1. Scott would be so proud! And he would give you the tip he gives Elise when they shoot skeet...."Butt back, shoulders forward!" :)

    ReplyDelete