Friday, February 18, 2011

4-Wheelers, Goats and Peyote

 We took an adventure out into the Cabo wilderness to go 4-wheeling at a ranch on the Pacific side of the coast. First we had to put on handkerchiefs to keep the dust off of our faces, and helmets to protect our noggins:
 After a few minutes of practicing on our ATVs around the ranch house, we were off! It was a pretty wild ride! We rode through a series of berms, up and down steep hills, and took a photo op on top of a hill that overlooked the desert. I got a lecture about going too slow. (In my defense, I have this crazy arthritic big toe joint that is the primary point of pressure to change an ATV into a higher gear. Changing was painful! But I finally devised a system of shoving most of my foot under the gear, then pulling up with my whole leg that worked. Sure, I looked like a spaz, but I didn't get any more lectures!)
We made it down off the hills into the sandy river bank where it was an all-out speed free for all, complete with cowboy yells and imaginary lassos being swung over certain heads, I won't say who. Then we made it to the beach. The Pacific side of Cabo has huge waves with a very shallow shore, and it was mind0blowing to see 30 foot waves come crashing in to create 50 foot walls of spray- honestly, one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Couldn't stop to take a picture, because the sand was very deep and we were in the middle of another speed-demon race across the shore. Brian made Bedouin nomad yells as he passed me on the shore. Our guide took us up on the cliffs over looking the beach where we took a few pictures and saw whales scraping barnacles off their skin in the shallow gravel.
The guide thought it would be hilarious to take a picture of Bruce pushing me off the cliff. Odd South-of-the-Border sense of humor.
Back at the ranch, I visit with the animals, who were not all that friendly. Didn't they sense my  animal affinity? Am I not known to be a friend to all goats? Maybe they only speak Spanish.
There were some pretty cool beaded crafts made by a guy they said was on Peyote. Maybe the Peyote helped his creativity.
All in all, we had a great time and got really dirty. Back in town people would ask if we enjoyed our ATV ride, we were so covered in dust. But it was worth it!

4 comments:

  1. LOLOL I love your face in the picture where Bruce is pushing you off the cliff! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I wasn't there I have this little fear of ATV's ever since I drove one down a hill into a tree... Anyway, the peyote turtles are awesome! and the beach looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete