Saturday, September 7, 2013

Carn!

Will miracles never cease? We grew corn this year. And it actually produced edible corn! There's a first for everything, I guess.
 Since Bruce never does anything by halves, we have a lot of corn. Way too much for us to eat. On Labor day I froze a bunch to eat later.
 This, I learned, was a labor-intensive job. I'd rate it right up there with pears and applesauce. Well, maybe not applesauce. What I needed was an army of shuckers and peelers, since this part of the job took the longest. I will remember to hire an army next time.

I boiled the carn for 4 minutes.
 Then I shocked it in ice water.
 The most fun part- cutting the kernels off with my electric knife!
 When it was all cut, I stirred in some melted butter and a little bit of salt.
Then into Ziplock bags it went!
 
 It took all morning, but I'll be glad to fish these out of the freezer in the middle of winter!



1 comment:

  1. Well, that's awesome! We used to do the freezer corn thing until Scott got tired of it. If Scott's tired of it, it doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete